The Bridal Checklist || Wedding Planning
Having been in the bridal industry for over 25 years, it is safe to say we know a thing or two about wedding planning. And in the current Covid environment we find ourselves in, in both the bridal industry and the world itself, it feels like we could throw out the whole planning side of things all together! We won’t be offering our planning services any time soon, but if there’s a chance we can make it easier for our brideys, we’ll jump at it! Like most things in life, there isn’t a right or wrong to planning a wedding – they come in all shapes, sizes and timeframes. Given brides and grooms are now planning for both Covid and post-Covid nuptials, the adage says ‘To fail to plan is to plan to fail’ has never rang more true. For example, have you ever thought about a Perspex cake cover? Protection from airborne viruses but make it pretty (We learnt this one recently!).
Each vendor will have different considerations now in terms of square meter rules, changing date options, postponement clauses, guest numbers and how their service is delivered, so the earlier you have plans in play the better, even if that means having an A, B and C plan! Regardless of how long you have to plan a wedding, the big vendors come first, then it filters down to the finer details. The longer you have, the more spoilt for choice you are. The shorter the time frame, you may have less options but that also means faster decisions! So with all this in mind we have put together a Wedding Prep Checklist, Wendy Makin Style. The time frames are a guide to get the most important things, (aside from your fiancé that is, that’s one thing ticked off the list!) locked in the earliest as it will affect all your decisions closer to the day.
Have you left it too close to order a dress for your wedding? Check out our online sample outlet
Naturally we have given a bit of detail on the gown process (priorities!) from a perspective of ordering a ready made gown through our beloved stockists. Note that if you choose to have your gown made to measure with us in our East Brisbane Studio the process is a little different as your measurements and fittings take place in the 2-3 months prior to your wedding rather than having your alterations done once your dress arrives. For more info on the couture process watch our video below or read our blog on made to measure vs ready to wear
Our Checklist is available as a PDF Download here or keep reading for our Comprehensive guide!
12+ months ahead
- Set a date!
- Contact wedding planner for initial consult
- Discuss and set a budget with your fiance and parents
- Draft a guest list
- Choose and book ceremony and reception venues
- Choose and book photographer/videographer
- Consider catering (if required)
- Book a minister or celebrant
- Book a consultation with an wedding/event stylist
- Consider wedding insurance
- Research your wedding dress/bridesmaids ideas
- Request guests addresses and send save the date cards
- Choose a wedding florist - (discuss colour schemes and what’s in season)
- Choose your bridal party
- Select and book wedding transport
- Select wedding rings
- Consider registering for a bridal gift service
- Order wedding dress and bridesmaids dresses
- Order hire equipment e.g. chairs, tables, backdrops
- Lock in Hair and Make Up artists.
- Order wedding stationery
- Book wedding cake decorator
- Obtain birth certificate or certified copy
- Book accommodation if required for wedding night
- Reserve a block of rooms for out of town guests
- Book DJ/Wedding band
- Research honeymoon and book it!
3-6 months ahead
- Send out wedding invitations
- If honeymoon is overseas ensure passport is valid
- Choose your MC
- Plan the order of ceremony and reception
- Select wedding cake
- Purchase/Hire/Order suits for groom and groomsmen
- Create a wedding playlist
- Finalise floral arrangements with florist
- Provide a guest list to Bridesmaids for hens party
2 Months ahead
-Give notice of intention to marry- register
-Choose wedding menu with caterers
-Finalise wedding guest numbers/check RSVP
-Have a hair and makeup trial
-Have an engagement shoot with
your photographer/plan your wedding pics
-Purchase bridal lingerie and shoes prior to wedding dress arrival
-Start fittings and alterations on wedding dress and bridesmaids
- Arrange wedding programs
4 weeks ahead
- Confirm all wedding vendors and arrangements
- Finalise as many payments as you can for a stress free lead up!
- Purchase gifts for bridal party
- Plan a seating chart for the reception
- Arrange place cards
- Start preparing wedding vows and speeches
- Schedule wedding rehearsal
- Confirm numbers with caterer/reception venue
- Arrange for suits to be tailored if required
2 weeks ahead
- Check arrangements with photographer/videographer
- Confirm arrival times with hair and make-up
- Pick up wedding rings
- Finalise dress alterations/organise pick up
- Check accessories and final details
- Have a facial, freshen up hair with a cut/colour
- Check and finalise honeymoon arrangements
- Go over order of reception with MC and Venue.
The week of
- Pack for honeymoon
- Collect wedding outfits
- Get garments professionally steamed if required
- Have a massage
- Get a tan
- Confirm delivery of flowers and wedding cake
- Confirm wedding transport arrival time.
- Have a wedding rehearsal
- Pack an ‘emergency wedding kit’ (see below for suggestions)
- Outsource minor jobs to family and friends
The day before
- Have nails manicured
- Drink lots of water!
- Arrange refreshements for while you get ready the next day
- Lay out everything required for the next day.
- Relax - yes this needs to be scheduled!
- Attempt sleep
After the wedding
- Make an appointment with the photographer
- Send thank you’s to guests and vendors
- Have wedding dress professionally cleaned and boxed
- Preserve flowers
- The legal stuff (change your name...if you want to...your partner changes theirs!)
We touched on this above, having things on hand on the day of the wedding should anything go awry is an actual lifesaver! Especially if you aren't getting ready at home and are at a destination or accomodation! These cuties on the side are what we hand our Brisbane Brides at their final dress fitting and we have some ideas for you for your own emergency kit:
Looking for more wedding planning advice or inspo? Check out some of our favourite blogs: